December 2, 2020
DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: Detroit At Work Career Center
LOCATION: 9301 Michigan Ave
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Temporary
APPROVED DATE: 12/2/2020
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting customers in the Resource Room and within the Detroit At Work Career Center. Also, updates and maintains participants’ records, enters data, and performs other office support tasks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist customers in the Resource Room with general job search activities.
2. Facilitates intake/orientation, explaining Career Center services and expectations.
3. Shows interest and concern for all customers, treating them with respect and care.
4. Uses personal computer to input data into automated reporting system.
5. Assists with documentation including collecting required completed documents accurately and expeditiously.
6. Assists other Center staff with various office support functions. Operates fax, copier and telephone system. Types memos, reports, and other materials.
7. Maintains detailed participant records in compliance with policies and procedures; Prepares and maintains current and accurate accounting of customer participation.
8. Maintains organized and efficient filing system.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: 1. High School Diploma or GED certificate required. Associate Degree or a combination of education and related experience preferred. 2. Three years of customer service experience. 3. General knowledge of Career Center services and programs. 4. Knowledge of relevant office equipment. 5. Ability to interact with customers in a positive and productive manner. 6. Ability to input basic data into personal computer. 7. Ability to prepare routine reports, file records correctly, and type materials as requested 8. Ability to effectively read and interpret written procedures. 9. Knowledge of or ability to learn data tracking and management information systems. 10. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. 11. Bilingual language skills in English/Spanish is preferred. 12. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking and standing may be required for an extended period. WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Equal Opportunity Employer This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.