December 2, 2020
DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: Detroit At Work Career Center
LOCATION: 9301 Michigan Avenue
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Regular
APPROVED DATE: 12/2/2020
JOB SUMMARY: Serves as the first point of contact for customers. Also, assists in the Resource Room and with office support functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Answers telephones in a courteous manner and directs the caller to the appropriate staff person.
2. Monitors activity in front lobby, greets customers, provides relevant program information, and refers to appropriate staff person for assistance.
3. Provides objective initial assessment customer’s first contact with the Detroit At Work Career Center.
4. Provides orientation to customers on Career Center services.
5. Assist customers in the Resource Room with general job search activities.
6. Shows interest and concern for all customers, treating them with respect and care.
7. Uses personal computer to make input into automated reporting system. Assists staff in completing documents accurately and expeditiously.
8. Assists other Center staff with various office support functions. Operates fax, copier and telephone system. Types memos, reports, and other materials.
9. Maintains detailed participant records in compliance with policies and procedures. Maintains organized and efficient filing system.
10. Assists in maintaining inventory of center supplies and materials.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Associate degree preferred; high school diploma or GED certificate required. 2. Three years of customer service experience. 3. General knowledge of Detroit At Work Career Center services and programs. 4. Mental ability to handle pressures related to performing multiple tasks requiring concentration and attention to detail with frequent disruptions due to people and/or telephone calls 5. Ability to deal with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need. 6. Knowledge of relevant office equipment and to input basic data into personal computer. 7. Ability to interact with customers in a positive and productive manner. 8. Ability to prepare routine reports, files records correctly, and type materials neatly and accurately. 9. Ability to effectively read and interpret written procedures. 10. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. 11. Bilingual language skills (English/Spanish) required. 12. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and be able to sit for extended periods of time. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking and standing may be required for an extended period. WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Equal Opportunity Employer This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.