Location: Detroit, MI
October 12, 2020
DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: Detroit At Work Career Center
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
FLSA STATUS: Exempt/Salary
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time, Regular
APPROVED DATE: 10/7/2019
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for the supervision of career coaching activities and related supportive services assistance for eligible Detroit At Work Career Center customers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Adheres to the mission of the SERCO, Inc.
2. Assists the Center Manager to interview, hire and train Career Services staff.
3. In the Manager’s absence, supervises Center staff and addresses all customer concerns.
4. Provides technical support in all matters related to customer assessment, eligibility, supportive services, and strategies that address customer’s barriers to employment.
5. Assures that the implementation of service plans to meet customer needs are carried out effectively, and according to policies and regulations.
6. Identifies problem areas and service gaps and recommends plans of action.
7. Assists in ensuring the program goals and objectives are met as specified by funding sources and the Corporation. Reports to supervisor on program progress and matters of concern.
8. Meets with staff on a regular basis to discuss program participant progress, concerns or other related issues.
9. Ensures that individual case files for each customer enrolled in Center programs meet program eligibility requirements, are kept up to date, and accurately recorded. Ensures that customer records are kept electronically and in hard copy in a safe location.
10. Conducts periodic reviews of case files, notes, individual service strategies and home visits.
11. Makes recommendations to management on policy and procedure changes.
12. Compiles program statistics and prepares related performance and progress reports for management.
13. Contributes to the team effort by performing other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: YES
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Experience in social work, counseling, career planning, placement, or related field. 2. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in social work or equivalent combination of education and experience. 3. Experience in WIOA, TANF, and employment and training program operations preferred. 4. Knowledge of community resources; of case management principles, objectives, standards, and methods; and of program policies and procedures. 5. Knowledge of or ability to learn and use MIS and other reporting systems. 6. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access). 7. Ability to make frequent visits to customers’ homes and training providers’ sites. 8. Ability to communicate effectively with customers, vendors, administration and other employees verbally and in writing. 9. Bilingual language skills preferred. 10. Must possess and provide a valid Michigan Driver's License. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and have access to reliable transportation in order to perform required field work responsibilities. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Equal Opportunity Employer This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.