December 2, 2020
DIVISION: Adult Services
DEPARTMENT: Detroit At Work Career Center
LOCATION: 9301 Michigan Avenue
REPORTS TO: Center Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt/Hourly
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Temporary
APPROVED DATE: 1/29/2020
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Career Center Services Manager, the Navigator will support customers to identify and eliminate training and employment barriers and facilitate necessary service referrals to support customers for employment retention. The Navigator will develop and maintain a comprehensive listing of available community resources and provide customized supports and services as needed to support customer employment retention. Navigators work to enhance customer retention and career growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provide direct coaching and intensive support to customers via in-depth assessments to determine specific barriers to be eliminated to facilitate employment retention.
2. Provide career navigation coordination services consisting of employment retention planning and referrals to community resources and information dissemination to support employed customers to achieve employment stability.
3. Communicate with employers, training providers, and Career Center staff regarding customer support needs.
4. Connect customers to education opportunities and other support resources to help maintain and advance employment.
5. Assist with coordination and development of employment data tracking process and tools related to employment outcomes per contract goals and objectives.
6. Respond diligently and confidentially to address customer crises and retention challenges.
7. Develop and maintain an active and complete network of resources, referrals and training opportunities to assist in removing customer barriers to successful employment retention and career advancement.
8. Assume responsibility for high-quality services delivery.
9. Maintain electronic case management data activity.
10. Attend all required meetings with team members, community partners and Detroit at Work Career Center leadership. Facilitate services presentations as directed.
11. Keep abreast of related professional employment retention best practices and opportunities.
12. Adhere to all contract guidelines and expectations.
13. Maintain consistent communication with employers for data gathering, reporting and ongoing support.
14. Perform other related duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: NONE
JOB QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience in workforce development programs. 2. Experience providing direct customer services required. 3. Knowledge and experience of government assistance programs and regulations preferred. 4. Knowledge of Detroit area community programs and services. 5. Ability to establish a network of community non-profit and government assistance programs for wraparound services to support customers experiencing retention challenges. 6. Ability to deal with multiple individuals from diverse backgrounds and varying levels of need. 7. Ability to work as a team member and relate effectively with other Detroit at Work Career Center staff, community partners, employers, persons served, and representatives of other community entities. 8. Ability to work in a fast-paced and performance-based environment, with a demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines. 9. Ability to utilize provided software to manage service delivery, outcomes and generate required contract reports. 10. Must be detailed oriented with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks as well as possess excellent organizational and time management skills. 11. Excellent written and verbal communications skills. 12. Bilingual language skills (Spanish and/or Arabic) preferred. 13. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) and online sourcing tool with functional knowledge of internet use for search platforms. 14. Ability to analyze customer service data to assist with internal continuous improvements. 15. Must possess and provide a valid Michigan Driver's License. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule and have access to reliable transportation to commute to multiple locations, including community sites and employer sites. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary. Occasional lifting and moving of materials as needed. Some walking and standing may be required for an extended period of time. WORK ENVIRONMENT: This job operates in a normal office environment with little discomfort due to noise, dirt, dust and the like. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photo copiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. Equal Opportunity Employer This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities that may be performed by a person so classified. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.